We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Control Systems Engineer to join Chrysos Corporation. Reporting to the Software Team Leader and Chief Technology Officer, you will be responsible for helping to develop and maintain complex, fully-automated sample handling systems for Chrysos’ PhotonAssay units.
Automation challenges include conveying, sorting and injecting large numbers of samples into the unit, combining and separating samples and reference standards, and rapidly and precisely transferring samples between different analysis stations. Working with mechanical and electrical automation engineers, you will be responsible for helping to develop the overall automation concept, and for architecting and implementing control systems, PLC code and human-machine interfaces (HMI).
The successful candidate will also provide field support for deployed systems, focussing on system debugging and improvements. He or she will also work closely with our manufacturing partner based in Beijing, China.
The position is based in Adelaide. Interstate relocation assistance will be provided if required.
We provide a unique assay service for the mineral exploration, mining and processing industries. We replace conventional, chemistry-based analysis methods such as fire-assay in minerals applications around the world.
The ChrysosTM PhotonAssay technology, originally developed by the CSIRO, uses high-power X-rays to rapidly measure gold and other metals in mineral ores. PhotonAssay units are being deployed in both city-based and remote location around the world. High performance and reliability of the sample automation system is essential for delivering more than 50,000 samples per month from each unit.
- Design and implement control systems, software and HMI for new automated sample handling systems. System components will include Siemens PLCs, interlocks, cameras, proximity sensors, barcode scanners, weighing scales, conveyors, off-the-shelf and custom pneumatic and electric actuators, and multi-axis robots.
- Review and document designs of existing automation systems. Provide support for debugging and improvement or addition of new functionality.
- Develop, test, debug, and maintain control system documentation and source code in line with industry best-practice.
- Maintain and troubleshoot existing deployments in the field, assist with installation of future PhotonAssay installations in Australia and overseas.
- Provide authoritative advice and guidance on design of sample handling automation.
- Provide practical input to the Chief Technology Officer, Software team and other technical staff to develop designs for new products.
- Contribute to a culture that values collaboration, technical excellence and on-going staff learning and development.
- Support the development of a strong OH&S culture.
Skills and Competencies
- A tertiary qualification in engineering with mechanical, mechatronic, electrical, instrumentation and control, or equivalent experience.
- At least 4 years’ experience in a control system engineering role, including design and implementation of automation systems.
- Solid working knowledge with control system architectures, PLC system design and programming techniques.
- Experience in design, testing and commissioning of complex control and automation systems and associated hardware, preferably in the mining or agriculture industries.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including preparation of technical documentation and functional specifications.
- Able and willing to travel and work within Australia and overseas, including China and remote locations such as mine sites.
- Experience programming and administration of Siemens PLC systems.
- Fluent in Mandarin to support technical collaboration with our Chinese manufacturing partner.
- High-level understanding of electrical, electronic and mechanical principles relevant to automation system design.
- Attention to detail and highly organised.
- Meets deadlines for delivering results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including collaboration with people from different technical disciplines.
- Ability to work autonomously for extended periods and to take initiative to achieve goals.
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks, including those both ‘above’ and ‘below’ the designated role.
- Inventive and creative approach to problem solving; comfortable with ambiguity and open-ended questions.
- Report directly to the Software Team Leader and Chief Technology Officer.
- Collaborate with members of the technical development team, including the Product Manager, other software engineers and scientists.
- Engage with Chrysos suppliers and sub-contractors during design, installation, commissioning and on-going support phases of the product life-cycle.
- Interactions with Chrysos customers during installation and commissioning of new products.
- Competitive base salary
- Superannuation 9.5%
- Participation in employee share ownership program
Applicants must submit a covering letter, CV and statement addressing the required skills and competencies to email@example.com.
Your covering letter should be about a page in length and explain a bit more about yourself and why you are interested in the role. Avoid just repeating your CV in prose form. A good covering letter will help us understand what sort of person you are and why you are a good fit for the job.
Your CV should ideally be 2-3 pages in length and focus on your skills and experience that are most relevant for the advertised role.
The skills statement should outline how you meet the essential skills, and as many of the desirable skills as you think you possess. Concrete examples of how you demonstrate the personal attributes would also be valuable. Responses should run to about a paragraph for each skill or attribute, and the statement should be no more than about 2 pages in total.