We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Mechanical Engineer to join Chrysos Corporation, a new start-up company developing innovative assay technologies for the exploration, mining and mineral processing industries.
The Chrysos PhotonAssay™ technology, originally developed by and licenced from the CSIRO, uses high-power X-rays to rapidly measure gold and other metals in mineral ores. Chrysos Corporation has attracted significant financial investment to fast-track the development of a family of systems for laboratory and field use. We aim to replace conventional, chemistry-based analysis methods such as fire-assay in minerals applications around the world.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and working directly with the Program Manager, the Mechanical Engineer will provide input into high-level product concepts, and take a leading role in turning these concepts into manufactured, installed and commissioned systems at customer sites.
- Provide practical mechanical engineering input to the CTO, Program Manager and other technical staff to develop conceptual designs for new products.
- Develop detailed technical specifications and manufacturing drawings for all mechanical components.
- Manage development and delivery of mechanical components from suppliers and sub-contractors in line with Australian and International standards.
- Provide practical assistance in the installation, integration and commissioning of new products.
- Contribute to a culture that values collaboration, technical excellence and on-going staff learning and development.
- Support the development of a strong OH&S culture.
Skills and Competencies
- A tertiary qualification in a mechanical engineering subject, or equivalent experience.
- At least 4 years’ experience in a mechanical engineering role.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and manage manufacture and delivery of components from a wide range of suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Australian design standards.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interpret technical drawings and designs.
- Experience using design and modelling software such as Solidworks, Inventor or similar.
- Able and willing to travel and work within Australia and overseas, including at remote locations such as mine sites.
- Experience designing large-scale mechanical structures (components up to 20 tons approximately) for operation in industrial environments.
- Knowledge and experience of civil engineering concepts, particularly relating to design and installation of large mechanical structures in industrial environments.
- Practical, hands-on workshop experience for in-house manufacture or modification of minor components.
- Attention to detail and highly organised.
- Meets deadlines for delivering results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including collaboration with people from different technical disciplines.
- Ability to work autonomously for extended periods and to take initiative to achieve goals.
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks, including those both ‘above’ and ‘below’ the designated role.
- Inventive and creative approach to problem solving; comfortable with ambiguity and open-ended questions.
- Report directly to the Chief Technology Officer.
- Collaborate with members of the technical development team, including the Program Manager, engineers and scientists.
- Engage with Chrysos suppliers and sub-contractors during design, installation, commissioning and on-going support phases of the product life-cycle.
- Interactions with Chrysos customers during installation and commissioning of new products.
- Competitive base salary
- Superannuation 9.5%
- Performance-related pay
- Participation in employee share ownership program