Applicants will not be considered unless they submit both a CV and a summary of how they meet the essential and desirable skills and competencies listed below.
Only Australian citizens and Australian permanent residents are eligible to apply for this position.
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Software Engineer will be responsible for designing and developing the user interface for Chrysos’ product range, including both local and remote system control and data access. The successful candidate will manage all aspects of the project, including selection of software platform(s), overall software architecture, development and implementation.
Chrysos Corporation is a start-up company developing innovative assay technologies for the exploration, mining and mineral processing industries.
The Chrysos PhotonAssay technology, originally developed by and licenced from the CSIRO, uses high-power X-rays to rapidly measure gold and other metals in mineral ores. Chrysos Corporation has attracted significant financial investment to fast-track the development of a family of systems for laboratory and field use. We aim to replace conventional, chemistry-based analysis methods such as fire-assay in minerals applications around the world.
- Design and implement software architecture for providing user access and control of PhotonAssay systems, interfacing with existing database and control systems.
- Design and implement software architecture for remote storage and access to sensitive client data, including responsibility for security.
- Provide practical software engineering input to the Chief Technology Officer, Program Manager and other technical staff to develop conceptual designs for new products.
- Implement documentation, testing, quality assurance and source-code management procedures in line with industry best-practice.
- Provide practical assistance in the set-up and commissioning of new products.
- Contribute to a culture that values collaboration, technical excellence and on-going staff learning and development.
- Support the development of a strong OH&S culture.
Skills and Competencies
- A tertiary qualification in a software engineering subject, or equivalent experience.
- At least 4 years’ experience in a software engineering role, including design and implementation of complex technical applications.
- Demonstrated experience developing effective user interfaces using web technologies.
- Demonstrated experience developing web software, including management of data security.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of modern software design and management practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including preparation of technical documentation and manuals.
- Experience developing user-interface software for scientific or technical instruments, including working with low-level hardware APIs.
- Experience setting up and performing system administration on Linux operating systems.
- Able and willing to travel and work within Australia and overseas, including at remote locations such as mine sites, to support product commissioning and fault-finding.
- Attention to detail and highly organised.
- Meets deadlines for delivering results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including collaboration with people from different technical disciplines.
- Ability to work autonomously for extended periods and to take initiative to achieve goals.
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks, including those both ‘above’ and ‘below’ the designated role.
- Inventive and creative approach to problem solving; comfortable with ambiguity and open-ended questions.
- Report directly to the Program Manager.
- Collaborate with members of the technical development team, including the Product Manager, other software engineers and scientists.
- Engage with Chrysos suppliers and sub-contractors during design, installation, commissioning and on-going support phases of the product life-cycle.
- Interactions with Chrysos customers during installation and commissioning of new products.
- Competitive base salary
- Superannuation 9.5%
- Participation in employee share ownership program