We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Software Engineer to join Chrysos Corporation, a new start-up company developing innovative assay technologies for the exploration, mining and mineral processing industries.
The Chrysos PhotonAssay™ technology, originally developed by and licenced from the CSIRO, uses high-power X-rays to rapidly measure gold and other metals in mineral ores. Chrysos Corporation has attracted significant financial investment to fast-track the development of a family of systems for laboratory and field use. We aim to replace conventional, chemistry-based analysis methods such as fire-assay in minerals applications around the world.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and working directly with the Program Manager, the Software Engineer will be responsible for developing a range of software components, including hardware controls and data processing, database management and user and web interfaces.
- Provide practical software engineering input to the CTO, Program Manager and other technical staff to develop conceptual designs for new products.
- Develop software to collect data from commercial off-the-shelf hardware, perform data analysis and store and retrieve results in a database.
- Develop graphical and web-based interfaces to support employee and customer access to stored information.
- Implement documentation, testing, quality assurance and source-code management procedures in line with industry best-practice.
- Manage development and delivery of software components from suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Provide practical assistance in the set-up and commissioning of new products.
- Contribute to a culture that values collaboration, technical excellence and on-going staff learning and development.
- Support the development of a strong OH&S culture.
Skills and Competencies
- A tertiary qualification in a software engineering subject, or equivalent experience.
- At least 4 years’ experience in a software engineering role.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and manage delivery of software components from a wide range of suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of modern software design and management practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including preparation of technical documentation and manuals.
- Experience with the following platforms and languages: Linux; C/C++; Java; Python; SQL.
- Experience developing software for control and data analysis for scientific or technical instruments, including working with low-level hardware APIs.
- Experience in numerical data analysis, such as linear regression and curve-fitting.
- Experience setting up and performing system administration on Windows and mixed operating system networks.
- Able and willing to travel and work within Australia and overseas, including at remote locations such as mine sites, to support product commissioning and fault-finding.
- Attention to detail and highly organised.
- Meets deadlines for delivering results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including collaboration with people from different technical disciplines.
- Ability to work autonomously for extended periods and to take initiative to achieve goals.
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks, including those both ‘above’ and ‘below’ the designated role.
- Inventive and creative approach to problem solving; comfortable with ambiguity and open-ended questions.
- Report directly to the Chief Technology Officer.
- Collaborate with members of the technical development team, including the Program Manager, engineers and scientists.
- Engage with Chrysos suppliers and sub-contractors during design, installation, commissioning and on-going support phases of the product life-cycle.
- Interactions with Chrysos customers during installation and commissioning of new products.
- Competitive base salary
- Superannuation 9.5%
- Performance-related pay
- Participation in employee share ownership program