Position description – Senior Automation Engineer
Based in Adelaide and recently expanded into Perth, Chrysos Corporation’s team of scientists, engineers and industry specialists are building technologies to provide rapid, accurate and safe ore analysis for the global mining industry. The company’s flagship technology, PhotonAssay, steps around centuries-old chemistry-based assay methods to deliver true ‘atom-counting’ analysis for the measurement of gold and other high-value metals. With successful installations in both Perth and Kalgoorlie, Chrysos is poised to take PhotonAssay to customers around the world – why not join us for this next exciting phase of our journey!
We are seeking an experienced Senior Automation Engineer to join Chrysos Corporation. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, you will be responsible for supporting and developing complex, fully-automated sample handling systems for Chrysos’ PhotonAssay units.
Automation challenges include conveying, sorting and injecting large numbers of samples into the unit, combining and separating samples and reference standards, and rapidly and precisely transferring samples between different analysis stations. You will be responsible for overseeing support and improvement of Chrysos’ existing units and leading the development of new automation systems for the next generation of our PhotonAssay technology.
The successful candidate will also provide field support for deployed systems, focussing on system debugging and improvements. He or she will also work closely with our manufacturing partner based in Beijing, China.
The position is based in Adelaide. Interstate relocation assistance will be provided if required.
- Design and implement control systems, software and HMIs for new automated sample handling systems. System components will include Siemens PLCs, interlocks, cameras, proximity sensors, barcode scanners, weighing scales, conveyors, off-the-shelf and custom pneumatic and electric actuators, and multi-axis robots.
- Review and document designs of Chrysos’ existing automation systems. Oversee support, debugging, improvement and addition of new functionality.
- Develop and implement control system documentation and source code version control in line with industry best-practice.
- Maintain and troubleshoot existing deployments in the field, assist with installation of future PhotonAssay installations in Australia and overseas.
- Provide practical input to the Chief Technology Officer, software team and other technical staff to develop designs for new products.
- Contribute to a culture that values collaboration, technical excellence and on-going staff learning and development.
- Support the development of a strong OH&S culture.
Skills and Competencies
- A tertiary qualification in engineering with mechanical, mechatronic, electrical, instrumentation and control, or equivalent experience.
- At least 6 years’ experience in a control system engineering role, including design and implementation of automation systems. Demonstrated ability to build and lead an automation engineering team.
- Solid working knowledge with control system architectures, PLC system design and programming techniques.
- Experience in design, testing and commissioning of complex control and automation systems and associated hardware; familiarity with mining, material handling or analytical applications would be an advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including preparation of technical documentation and functional specifications.
- Able and willing to travel and work within Australia and overseas, including China and remote locations such as mine sites.
- Experience in programming and administration of Siemens PLC systems.
- High-level understanding of electrical, electronic and mechanical principles relevant to automation system design.
- Attention to detail and highly organised.
- Meets deadlines for delivering results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including collaboration with people from different technical disciplines.
- Ability to work autonomously for extended periods and to take initiative to achieve goals.
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks, including those both ‘above’ and ‘below’ the designated role.
- Inventive and creative approach to problem solving; comfortable with ambiguity and open-ended questions.
- Report directly to the Chief Technology Officer.
- Collaborate with members of the technical development team, including the Product Manager, other software engineers and scientists.
- Engage with Chrysos suppliers and sub-contractors during design, installation, commissioning and on-going support phases of the product life-cycle.
- Interactions with Chrysos customers during installation and commissioning of new products.
- Competitive base salary
- Superannuation 9.5%
- Participation in employee share ownership program
Applicants must submit a covering letter, CV and statement addressing the required skills and competencies to firstname.lastname@example.org. The skills statement should outline how you meet the essential skills, and as many of the desirable skills as you think you possess.